Sunday, September 11, 2011

Winds of change.

Well it is a school night once again. Tomorrow marks Day 4 of our school year (I know, we started so late!) and while I am not looking forward to a the early mornings that school days bring, I must say that I am really excited about this school year. It is such a relief to be coming back to the same school and teaching the same grade again. After jumping into brand new environments the last 2 years, it is an incredibly nice change to begin a school year with some idea of what is to come (not that you can ever truly know what's going to happen with a classroom full of kids!).

This year I have a class of 16 and I am the only 3rd grade teacher. While that definitely presents some challenges to not have a partner in the same grade, I can't deny that I am a bit excited about the autonomy presented in having a grade of my own. I can set my own timelines and schedules, and set up a structure that suits me and my kids without having to make sure that I am matching up with someone else. After taking an absolutely fabulous summer course in Responsive Classroom, I am uber excited to implement new ideas in my classroom. In just these 3 days we've had so far, as I've already put into practice some of the training we got, I can already tell a difference in my classroom. Compared to how my year started last year, it is truly refreshing to feel like things are a bit more under control. It's also crazy to admit that I'm now in my 3rd year of teaching. Most days I still feel like a newbie. :)

As I begin this school year, my prayer is that God's light is shining through me every single day. I hope that I create an atmosphere in my room where my kids know they are respected and loved. I pray that I can be patient with them and meet their needs for this time that they are in my care. I am so thankful that God has placed me in a career where I have the opportunity to impact young lives. I just pray that I am able to make the most of that opportunity.

On another note . . .

FOOTBALL SEASON IS UPON US!

While the sting of the Colts' score today is quite painful, I have hope that the Colts can still make history as the first team to ever host the Super Bowl with home field advantage! Peyton Manning needs to heal quickly and the rest of those boys have got to hold themselves together in the meantime! But it's early in the season . . . so don't bury them yet!

P.S. I have a new pastime . . . fantasy football.

Happy school year, work week, football season, or wherever you find yourself! God bless.

[hugsfromMD]

No comments:

Post a Comment