Sunday, April 10, 2011

A mighty fine April Fool's joke.

Last week was the beginning of another new month. I am having a hard time believing that it is already April! Not that I am complaining. Brent and I have been married for 9 months today, living in Maryland for almost 8 months, and I'm less than 2 months away from summer break. Now, if only the right April weather would come to stay!

To ring in the new month, I pulled a pretty good joke on my kiddos at school. To be honest, I didn't really think I would pull it over on them too well because I thought they would be expecting it. They're some pretty smart cookies, ya know! Here's how it went down:

My kids had a science fair project due this Monday, April 4. (Remember we are on Friday morning, April 1). I had one student bring her project in early that Friday, so I thought I would use this to my advantage. I had both 3rd grade classes come into my room (our routine when doing presentations) and had them get seated and quiet. I then announced that it was time to begin their science fair presentations. Their jaws dropped and then the protests began . . . "but the paper says they're due on Monday!" . . . "I don't have mine today!" . . . to each protest I politely but sternly disagreed, saying that it was very clear that they were due today and that late projects would be penalized. I then called on the one girl who had her project and she picked up her poster and began walking to the front of the room, protests from the kids still a' flyin.

I kept a straight face until one of my girls started crying.

"Oops, joke's over!" I thought to myself, and began to smile at the class, without saying a word. After a few seconds, one student finally caught on. "Mrs. McLaughlin! This is an April Fool's joke! She's joking, guys!" The other students began laughing, the tears dried up, and I gave myself a mental pat on the back for successfully pulling one over on my students.

One of the other teachers was speaking to one of my boys (one of the tough, cool guys, I might add) in the hallway later in the day. "I heard Mrs. McLaughlin got you guys pretty good this morning!" The boy's response: "Nah, I knew she was joking the whole time. I was just pretending to be surprised."

Yeah, right. ;)

Happy April!

[hugs]

No comments:

Post a Comment